Railway is a convenient means of transport, especially when it come to interurban connections. The Polish railway is operated by several companies (among others TLK, Intercity, Interregio) operating as part of the Polish State Railways (PKP) www.pkp.pl.
In order to find available train connections, go to the website: http://www.rozklad-pkp.pl/bin/query.exe/pn (available in English, German and Russian).
There are several ways of buying a ticket:
- at a ticket office at a railway station/PKP station
- from a vending machine at a PKP station
- online on the website www.pkp.pl
- on the train (a passenger should get on the first carriage and immediately buy a ticket from a conductor. The prices of tickets on sale on the train are about 10 zł higher. There is no possibility of paying by card, so a passenger should prepare cash.
Ticket prices depend on the length of a route and the type of railway company the services of which a passenger uses.
Some passengers, among others pupils, students, teachers at Polish schools and higher education institutions, are entitled to discounts on production of a document entitling to such a discount.
Ticket inspection on train is carried out by conductors each ride.
In Cracow, a majority of railway routes pass through the Central Station (Dworzec Główny) located in the city centre (entrance through Galeria Krakowska from Pawia St). At the station there are information desks and international ticket offices that serve passengers who do not speak Polish.
Interurban and international routes are operated also by numerous bus and coach companies. Their buses/coaches stop at the Regional Bus Station (Regionalny Dworzec Autbusowy) in Cracow, located in the city centre, near the Central PKP Railway Station (address: 18 Bosacka St; entrance through Galeria Krakowska and the tunnel called ‘Magda’ or from Rakowickiej St). Such location makes journeys and transfers easier. Ticket prices depend on the route and carrier. Ticket offices are open from 7:00. till 19.45.
John Paul II International Airport Kraków – Balice is situated 11 km west of the centre of Cracow. You can get there by:
- bus no. 208, 292 or 902
- train that runs between the Central Railway Station and the Airport.